Updated March 30, 2020 at 1:45 a.m.
Health Brigade is planning to resume Needle Exchange Services this week with modifications. Stay tuned to this space for any changes.
Tuesdays mobile: 12-3pm Church Hill- same location,1403 N. 20th St. (at Rogers St. and “T” Street)
Thursdays mobile: 12-3pm Southside- new location, 701 Jefferson Davis Hwy & Chicago Ave in the parking lot across from 701 convenience store
Fridays: 1-4pm Health Brigade 1010 N. Thompson St. pick-up only in the rear of the building.
We will be asking each of you to practice social distancing of 6 feet from staff and one another.
When you arrive to any of our sites:
- Look for the sandwich board and call the phone number that is posted.
- If it’s your first time, no problem! We’ll create your code over the phone and do the complete intake at another time.
- We’ll ask your code, and let you know if there are others ahead of you in line.
- If you get a voicemail, please assume we are on another call/with another client. Leave your call back number and we’ll call back ASAP.
- Please wait in your vehicle or away from other others until we call you to tell you your supplies are ready.
- If you don’t have a phone, please make eye contact and we’ll confirm that you have a place in line.
Questions or follow-up needed? Please feel free to leave a voicemail with program staff. They will be returning all calls and offering as much support as possible by phone. Emily (804-358-6140) Colin (804-358-2437)
During a crisis drug supplies are often even more compromised. Please take extra precautions.
- Do a test shot, go slow, try not to use alone.
- If you reuse a syringe; clean with water shake/tap for 30 seconds than empty, fill with bleach shake/tap for 30 seconds than empty, fill with water shake/tap for 30 seconds than empty.
You might lose access to your drug of choice due to COVID 19.
- Consider alternative drugs or medications that could help take the edge off. If facing potential opioid withdrawal, consider buying over the counter medications to make it less difficult (ibuprofen, Pepto-Bismol, Imodium).
- For opioid dependence, if you are interested in learning about medication management leave us a message to find out how to enroll with a local provider for buprenorphine or methadone.
Stay safe, we are thinking of you.
Emily, Colin, Matt, and Sarah