Health Brigade aims to meet each patient’s overall health care needs in a safe and welcoming environment. We understand that transgender, gender queer, gender variant, non-binary and gender non-conforming individuals face unique barriers in accessing appropriate and affirmative health care. We are pleased to offer medical and mental health services that we see as critical resources for our patients.
In order to honor gender identity and provide quality care, new clients will complete our registration materials and provide demographic information such as your legal name, name you use, and appropriate pronouns.
To best serve our patients, Health Brigade provides the following specific types of medical and behavioral health care and support services:
Trans Health Care Services
Primary Medical Care
- Breast & chest health
- Coordination of care
- HIV & STD testing and counseling
- Hormone treatment & monitoring
- Medication assistance program
- Pelvic wellness & Pap smears
- Supportive services
Mental Health Services
- Individual Counseling
- Ryan White Part B mental health and substance abuse counseling
- Support Groups
- Surgery Support Letters
- Psychiatric Referrals
- Voice Therapy
- Legal Services (Name and Gender Marker changes) Richmond TLC (Trans Legal Collaborative) Name & Gender Marker Change Clinic
Hormone Administration & Monitoring
To begin your care with Health Brigade, please follow this process:
- To ensure that you are eligible to be seen at Health Brigade click here. Please be sure to check out the proof of income documentation that you will need to bring to your registration appointment. If you have questions about eligibility, please reach out to Chelsea Schwalm, our Transgender Health Services Program Manager.
- All new patients seeking transgender health services must complete a registration and intake appointment with Chelsea. Since hormones can affect patients physically and emotionally, we want to ensure patients understand all resources Health Brigade offers to support a healthy transition and to obtain information important to the patient’s medical provider. This appointment also allows us to gather informed consent to administer hormones. You can schedule this appointment by calling 804-716-5832 or by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have completed the registration and intake appointment you will be scheduled for a visit with a medical provider.
****Please note that Health Brigade only accepts transgender patients who are uninsured. If you are looking for trans health care and are insured, please call The Virginia League for Planned Parenthood’s Trans Health Line at 804-482-6154 to inquire more about their trans health services.
Below are links to other organizations and entities that offer transgender health and other services to help transgender, gender queer, gender variant and gender non-conforming individuals find information. The provided links are for information and represent the thoughts of the authors/websites and are not endorsed by or reflect the beliefs of Health Brigade. We advise that you always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical or mental health condition.
VIRGINIA TRANSGENDER RESOURCES
*Virginia Transgender Resource and Referral List
*Name & Gender Change Guide for VA Residents
*Transgender Health Alliance of Central Virginia
*PFLAG Blue Ridge
*LGBT Life Center
*Side by Side
*Virginia Anti Violence Project
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL TRANSGENDER RESOURCES
*Center for Excellence for Transgender Health
*Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide
*Human Rights Compaign Transgender Information
*International Foundation for Gender Education
*National Center for Transgender Equality
*Transgender Law and Policy Institute
*The Transitional Male
*The World Professional Association for Transgender Health
*Transgender Law Center